Kathleen Neville Ph.D., R.N., is an experienced nurse educator with an extensive background in both undergraduate and graduate education with a focus on research and evidence-based practice. She is a graduate of New York University where she obtained both a Ph.D. and Master's degree in Nursing, and a B.S. in Nursing from Rutgers College of Nursing. Prior to joining Seton Hall College of Nursing in January, 2018, she was Professor in the School of Nursing at Kean University and taught in the R.N.-B.S.N., Master's and Ph.D. programs.
Her recent research interests pertain to investigations addressing challenges in nursing practice and further testing of her instrument, the Nurses' Perception of Patient Rounding Scale© (Neville,2010). She has been primary author to numerous studies such as compassion fatigue, substance abuse, nurses' fatigue, and noise mitigation, as well as presentations and publications regarding evidence-based practice, research, interprofessional education, and psychosocial nursing in adolescent oncology. Neville is passionate about facilitating and mentoring nurses in the conduct of scholarly inquiry to guide practice.
- Ph.D., New York University, Nursing Research and Theory Development
- M.A., New York University, Nursing Education
- B.S., Rutgers-The State University, College of Nursing
- Neville, K, Velmer, G., Brown, S., & McKean, N. (2017). "A pilot study: The relationship between fatigue and napping in nurses practicing on the night shift." The Journal of Nursing Administration, 47(11),581-586.
- Applebaum, D., Calo, O., & Neville, K. (2016) "The implementation of quiet time on a medical-surgical unit." Journal of Nursing Administration, 46(12),669-674.
- Neville, K., DiBona, C., & Mahler. M. (2016). "Validation of the nurses’ perception of the patient rounding scale: An exploratory study of the influence of shift work on nurses’ perception of patient rounding." Orthopaedic Nursing, 35(2),1-9.
- Neville, K., Radil, E. & Velmer, G. (2015). "Improving parental adherence to a failed vision screening referral in the U.S." British Journal of School Nursing,10(3),82-89.
- Neville, K., & Roan, N. (2014). "Challenges in nursing practice: Nurses’ perceptions in caring for medical-surgical patients with substance abuse/dependence." Journal of Nursing Administration, (44)6,339-346.
- Neville, K., & Cole, D. A. (2013). "The relationships among compassion fatigue, burnout, and compassion satisfaction in nurses practicing in a community medical center." Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(3), 348-354.
- Neville, K., & Roan, N. (2013). "Suicide in hospitalized, medical-surgical patients." Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 51(1)),1-9.
- Neville, K., Lake, K., Paul, D., LeMunyon, D. & Whitmore, K. (2012). "Nurses’ perception of patient rounding," Journal of Nursing Administration, 42(2),83-88.
- Neville, K., Foley, M. & Gertner, A. (2011). "Understanding and identifying the child at risk for auditory processing disorder: A case method approach in examining the interdisciplinary role of the school nurse." Journal of School Nursing, 27(2) 22-32.
- Dilessio, E., Magsalin, M., Neville, K., & Patten, C. (2010). "Patient rounding to improve patient satisfaction." Nursing Management, 41(12), 16-19.
- Neville, K. & Horbatt, S. (2008). "EBP: Creating a spirit of inquiry to solve clinical nursing problems: A case study approach," Orthopaedic Nursing, 27(6), 2-8.
- Neville, K. (2000). Mature beyond their years: The impact of cancer on adolescent development. Pittsburgh: Oncology Nursing Press, Inc.
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing 2018
- Associate Research Editor Orthopaedic Nursing 2015
- Graduate Faculty Research Mentor Award Kean University 2016
- Range Adjustment Merit Award Kean University 2015
- Nurse of the Year, Academic Educator March of Dimes 2014
- Nurse of the Year Finalist, Nurse Education Award March of Dimes 2014
- National League for Nursing Recognition Award NJ League for Nursing 2013
- Foundation for Research Award Kean University 2013
- Presidential Excellence Award for Distinguished Faculty Service, Kean University 2007
- Lambda Iota Outstanding Faculty Award, Sigma Theta Tau, International Honor Society, 2006.
- Foundation in Research Award Kean University 2004