College of Communication and the Arts Logo
Student Bayley Hall

Frequently Asked Questions about Graduate Programs

The following frequently asked questions refer to the College of Communication and the Arts’ graduate programs of study.  For information about programs outside of the College of Communication and the Arts, please consult with the University’s Office of Graduate Affairs.

What is the definition of a full-time student?

A student is classified as full-time when enrolled for nine (9) or more credits per semester.  Any credit load below nine credits is considered part-time.  Graduate courses are typically 3 credits.

When are classes held?

Classes are held at different times depending on the program.

For the Communication program, classes are typically held once-per-week (ranging from Monday-Thursday) from either 5-7:10pm or 7:20-9:30pm.  Course schedules are discussed prior to each semester with an academic adviser.

For the Museum Professions program, classes are typically held once-per-week (ranging from Monday-Thursday) from 6:30-8:40pm.  Course schedules are discussed prior to each semester with an academic adviser.

What is the current tuition rate?

The tuition rate is fixed for each academic year.  For the latest tuition and fees, please consult the Office of the Bursar’s Tuition and Fees page.  Please note, students registered for less than 9 credits each semester are assessed part-time fees and students registered for 9 or more credits are assessed full-time fees.

Is an internship required?

The Museum Professions program requires an internship as part of its core curriculum.  Placement and ongoing advisement for this experience is coordinated by a member of the Museum Professions’ faculty.

Currently, the Communication program does not require an internship.  While we encourage students to complete internships at the graduate level for these programs, academic credit is not awarded at this time.

Can I study abroad?

Students in the Museum Professions program have the opportunity to participate in study abroad opportunities.  Each year, a faculty member from the Museum Professions program leads a trip abroad, usually lasting about ten days.  On these trips, the destinations of which have included Amsterdam, Beijing (and Shanghai), Berlin, Florence, Paris, and Rome, students visit numerous museums and historic sites, often looking “behind the scenes,” to see how museums outside of the United States operate.

Where do students work after graduation?

Museum Professions graduates have received positions in The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Smithsonian Design Museum, Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, Museum of Modern Art, Country Music Hall of Fame, and National Park Services.

What professional associations recognize Graduate Studies?

Graduate Studies has affiliations based on discipline.

The Communication program is affiliated with the National Communication Association, the Central States Communication Association, the Eastern States Communication Association, and the Western States Communication Association.

The Museum Professions program is currently affiliated with the Institute for Museum Ethics.  The program’s curriculum is informed by the American Association of Museums and the International Council of Museums.

How safe is the Seton Hall campus?

The University’s suburban, 58-acre park-like campus sits proudly within the picturesque town of South Orange, New Jersey.  South Orange provides small-town charm with tree-lined streets, historic homes, and quaint shops, as well as big-city opportunities with New York City just a short 14 miles away.  A video tour is available and we invite prospective students to visit campus to meet faculty, attend a class, or learn more about our programs.  For more information about campus safety, please review the Campus Security Report

I have a question not addressed in this list.

For any other program-related questions, please contact Dr. Ryan Hudes.