The College of Communication and the Arts is home to many internationally recognized faculty. Our varied undergraduate and graduate programs are taught by experts in all relevant industries. Our faculty are comprised of performing artists, Pulitzer Prize winners, fine artists, museum curators, well-known authors, Fulbright Scholars, respected media critics, filmmakers and award winning designers.
Our professional faculty are guided by the understanding that students benefit from the study of theory, but that the application of real-life industry experience from a mentor with first-hand knowledge is invaluable.
As you’ll see below, our faculty are always on the move. Here are some of the most recent accomplishments by Communication and the Arts’ faculty.
Ann Bollinger, – Instructor
- Founded and serves as faculty advisor of the Seton Hall Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ), and nationally recognized organization comprised of over 6,000 student and professional journalists.
Paul Christiansen, – Associate Professor of Music
- Appointed to the International Evaluation Panel for European Union accreditation in the field of musicology to evaluate Akademie Múzických Umění v Praze (Academy of Performing Arts in Prague) and the Janáčkova Akademie Múzických Umění v Brně (Janáček Academy of Performing Arts in Brno).
- Gave interview on book Orchestrating Public Opinion for Trax on the Trail podcast as the inaugural episode guest.
- Served as panelist for "Academic Job Mobility and Interview Practices Outside of North America," Annual Meeting of the American Musicological Society, Boston, MA.
Gretchen Hall, – Instructor of Theatre
- Guest starred on an episode of the hit CBS show "FBI."
- Directed a radio production of the Charles Dickens’ classic "A Christmas Carol" for WSOU.
William Haney, Professor of Art and Design
- "Drawings at the Edge of Perception," National Juried Exhibition at (SCENE) Metrospace, Kresge Art Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI., 2019
- "RED" Exhibition, Gallery25N, International Juried Exhibition, Virtual Online Gallery of Art
- Visual Thinking: National Juried Drawing Exhibition at Ronald Barr Gallery, Knobview Hall, Indiana University Southeast, ID, 2019,
- 9th Annual "Open” Online International Juried Exhibition, Light Space Time Gallery, 2019
- "Living Marks VI," National Juried Exhibition, Verum Ultimum Art Gallery, Portland OR. 2019
- 9th Annual National "Animals in Art” Online Juried Exhibition," 2019
- "Fierce and Fragile," National Juried Exhibition, Verum Ultimum Art Gallery, Portland OR. 2019,
- "Open International,” Art Room Gallery, An Online International Juried Exhibition of Art, 2019
- "DRAWN," National Drawing Competition, Spiva Gallery, 2019
- "The New Unconsciousness," Juried Exhibition, SciArt Initiative, cross-disciplinary exchange and collaboration, Visual Arts Gallery, Brooklyn, NY, 2019
Special Recognition Award, National Juried Exhibition, Verum Ultimum Art Gallery, Portland, OR., 2019
Award: Excellence in Art, Open International, Art Room Gallery, An Online International Juried Exhibition of Art, 2019
- Silver Award, "Creative David's” International Awards, Category: Digital Design, The Academy of Interactive & Visual Arts (AIVA), 2019
- Awarded "The Christopher E. Burke" Fine Art Grant, RED Exhibition, Gallery25N, International Juried Exhibition, 2019
James J. Kimble, – Professor of Communication
- October 2019 – Delivered Fall 2019 Roosevelt Lecture at the Roosevelt Institute of American Studies in the Netherlands.
- November 2019 – Delivered lecture on Norman Rockwell in Sugar Land, Texas.
- November 2019 – Delivered lecture to the Anti-Defamation League-Southwest in Sugar Land, Texas.
Derek Larson, – Instructor of Art, Design and Interactive Multimedia
- Art Basel Miami Beach 2019 Exhibition in the UNTITLED Art Fair.
Christine Lhowe, - Assistant Professor of Art & Design
- Awarded a 2019 Gold Davey Award for design of the Teach for America NJ 2018-2019 Impact Report.
- Awarded a 2019 Silver Davey Award for design of the Zeta Charter School Specialty Class Book.
- Awarded a 2019 Communicator Award of Distinction for design of the Zeta Charter School Specialty Class Book.
- Recipient of the 2019 Provost's NYC Initiative to lead a student Art & Design trip to the Poster House and Thinkso Creative Agency.
- Will be presenting at the International Design Principles & Practices Conference in March 2020 on accepted abstract "Contact Creation in the Undergraduate Design Classroom."
Jon Radwan, – Associate Professor of Communication
- Published an essay entitled "Lonergan's Rock, Rhetoric's Love: Critical Thinking, Truth, and Communication(s) Ethics." Conference Proceedings. Center for Catholic Studies, Seton Hall University, "Faculty Summer Seminar – Ethics and Our Disciplines" (2019). Center for Catholic Studies Faculty Seminars and Core Curriculum Seminars. Paper 26.
- Produced two Institute for Communication and Religion events: a panel of international scholars addressing "Fragmented Kashmir," and "The Living Word Project: Artistic Expressions of the Sacred" featuring interfaith poetry, prayer, song, dance, and scholarship from SHU students, faculty, and alumni.
- Presented "Communication and Religion in the 2020 Presidential Election: A Regional Conference Invitation"to the National Conference of the Lilly Fellows Program in Humanities and the Arts at Baylor University in Waco TX, October 2019.
- Led a CORE1101 class trip to the Catholic Worker Mary House in Manhattan, funded by the Provost's Office NYC Grant Initiative.
- Presented "Light, Love, and Racialized Power: #communicationsowhite" to the SHU Faculty Development Seminar on Challenging Racism and Teaching for Inclusion, October 2019.
Christopher Sharrett, – Professor of Visual and Sound Media
- Authored "John Waters' Polyester: The Suburbs Arrive." Film International online filmint.nu, Dec. 2019.
- Authored "The Irishman: Requiem for Very Little."Film International, Nov. 2019.
- Corresponding Reader, Quarterly Review of Film and Video, Dec. 2019.
- Corresponding Reader, Monstrum (Montreal), Nov. 2019.
- Corresponding Editor, Anthem Press Series on Exploitation and Industry in World Cinema, Oct. 2019.
- Authored "Joker: Notes from Underground," Film International, Oct. 2019.
- Associate and Board Member, Columbia University Seminar on Cinema and Interdisciplinary Interpretation, Sept., Oct., Nov., Dec. 2019.
Wayne Vollweiler, – Instructor of Visual and Sound Media
- Executive Produced student-made mini-documentary about the First Baptist Church of South Orange and their pastor, Reverend Terry Richardson.
Catherine Zizik, – Associate Professor of Communication
- "Rubric Review Bingo: What Not to Do!" presented at the 84th International Conference, Association for Business Communication, Detroit, MI, October, 2019.
- "Awareness to Understanding: The Abilities Checklist," Teaching Diversity presentation, 84th International Conference, Association for Business Communication, Detroit, MI, October, 2019.