Skip to Content
Seton Hall University
student looking at camera

Registration Information  

Important Information about Spring 2020 Registration:
Dates, Procedures, Holds

Spring 2020 registration runs from November 4 – 26. Spring add-drop ends on Tuesday, January 21, 2020. 

Please consult the Undergraduate and Graduate Registration Schedule for specific days and times. During early registration, undergraduate registration time slots are assigned from November 4 – 26 based on your last name and your credit count (including in progress courses); registration for graduate students begins on Wednesday, November 6, regardless of last name/credit counts.

After your initial registration, you may adjust your schedule on an ongoing basis, except for Sunday mornings from 12:01 a.m. – 7:00 a.m. This period is reserved for system maintenance, if needed.

In-Person Registration

In-Person Registration for undergraduates is offered as an option for those students who cannot or choose not to register online and for students who are registering for courses that require departmental authorization. Seniors may register in person starting on November 7, Juniors on November 13, Sophomores on November 21, and Freshmen on November 25. Graduate students may register in person starting on November 11. In person registration requires that you bring your grid sheet, signed by your adviser, to the Registrar Service Counter in Bayley Hall (or to Room 1529 at the IHS Campus in Nutley on Mondays or Thursdays).

Special Instructions for Graduate Students

All graduate students, except for matriculated Stillman students, need a registration PIN from their adviser. If you are in a certificate program or are non-matriculated (i.e., not degree-seeking), contact your adviser in your college to get your PIN and to secure course approval. You may present a signed grid sheet at the Registrar Service Counter in Bayley Hall to register and/or to get your PIN. Reminder: new PINs are generated for spring registration; your Fall PIN will not work for spring registration. PINs for Spring registration begin with a 1. 
Online Registration for graduate students starts Wednesday, November 6. In-Person Registration starts on November 11. Bring your signed grid sheet to the Registrar Service Counter in Bayley Hall or to Room 1529 at the IHS Campus in Nutley (Mondays and Thursdays only). 

Senior Citizens and Au Pairs

Senior citizens and au pairs may register at the Registrar Service Counter in Bayley Hall on Friday, January 10 from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. or at any time thereafter through Tuesday, January 21. 


Students who wish to audit a course at the audit declaration rate may register on Friday, January 10 at the Spring 2020. In Person registration session or at any time thereafter through January 21.

Reminder: Registration eligibility is contingent on academic and financial eligibility. Students with academic holds must receive clearance from their dean; students with financial holds must be cleared by Student Financial Services. In compliance with New Jersey State law, matriculated students who entered in Summer or Fall 2019 must present required health documentation to Health Services on the Student Health Portal in order to register. Details appear on the portal, so please view this information and submit required information in keeping with your status.

Contact Health Services at (973) 761-9175 for information and assistance.

Registration Procedures: What To Do and When To Do It Undergraduate and Graduate Instructions

How Do I Register?

Step One: See your adviser and prepare your schedule; identify and resolve any holds you may have.

Make an appointment to see your adviser well in advance of when you will be registering. Working with your adviser is the key to successful registration and program planning. Your adviser will provide you with all the information you need to review your academic progress in your program and to select your courses.

In consultation with your adviser, prepare your schedule. Use the Course Search process within Banner self-service to identify the courses you want to take. Make sure to note the CRN (Course Registration Number) for your classes; you must use that number when you register online. In the event that some of your courses are closed, develop a list of alternative selections. Double check your worksheet to make sure that you have recorded the CRNs correctly to avoid registering for the wrong courses.

Holds: Check for holds well in advance of your registration time.

The following information provides contact points for registration holds:

Health Services - Immunization Health Services - Immunization problem
Bursar Balance Due Must pay past-due balance
Bad Address Contact Bursar after updating address
Outside Collection Agency or Outside Letter Collection Service or Return Check Hold Bursar's Office, Bayley Hall
Non-Matric Credit Maximum Registrar in Bayley Hall: At non-matric credit limit
75 credits - Declare Major Undeclared major - Must declare major.
Consult your adviser; Registrar in Bayley Hall can remove hold upon declaration of major
Change Major Must change major; Registrar will remove hold when major has been changed
Academic - Arts and Sciences Dr. Michael Dooney / Arts and Sciences (graduate students);
Dr. Christopher Kaiser / Arts and Sciences (undergrad students)
Academic - Business Dr. Steven Lorenzet / School of Business
Academic - Communication & Arts Dr. Ryan Hudes and Brittany Scoles / COAR (graduate students)
Associate Dean Thomas Rondinella /
COAR (undergraduate students)
Academic - Education Dr. Joseph Martinelli / College of Education and Human Services
Academic - Nursing Program director will work through Dr. Judith Lothian (graduate students);
Dr. Judith Lucas / College of Nursing / (undergraduate students)
Academic - Diplomacy Dr. Martin Edwards / School of Diplomacy (graduate students)
Dr. Ursula Sanjamino / School of Diplomacy (undergraduate students)
Academic - Health & Medical Sciences Department chair who will work through Dr. Patrick McDermott / School of Health & Medical Sciences
Academic - Theology Rev. Christopher Ciccarino / School of Theology (graduate students)
Sr. Maria Pascuzzi / School of Theology (undergraduate students)
Disciplinary Suspension  Karen Van Norman / Community Development

Students with financial holds should work on resolving their balances immediately. Delaying registration until January may eliminate options for resolution of payment/financial aid difficulties. Your registration may then be prohibited unless full payment is made before registration.

Step Two: Find out when you register.

Consult the Registration Schedule available online to determine your assigned time for online registration. If you are unable to register online during your assigned time, you may register online at any time thereafter or you may register in person. See the Registration Schedule for the days and times for in person registration.

Note: Banner Self Service will be available for open registration and add-drop for Spring 2020 through January 21.

Step Three: Access the Web Registration System

Make sure that you have your course list with CRNs at hand along with your registration PIN, which you received from your adviser. (Matriculated business students do not need a PIN.) Remember: the ONLY way to get your PIN is to contact your adviser. A new Spring 2020 PIN was generated for you; your old PIN will not work. Spring PINs begin with '1.' Please do not call the Registrar's Office for your PIN.

1) Login to PirateNet; in the Navigation module on the far left, click on the Registration Tools link; select Add or Drop Classes. Select Spring 2020 as the term, and enter your new registration PIN as your Alternate PIN. 

2) Enter the CRNs of your classes in the Add Classes Worksheet. Remember to press Submit Changes to record your registration request. If you do not press this button, you will not be registered for your classes. Your schedule will appear; check it for accuracy.

3) Changing your schedule: If you need to modify your schedule by dropping a course, pull down the options in the action column for the course. Highlight Drop on Web - then press Submit to process the drop. If you don't press the Submit button after entering a drop action, you will remain in the course. To add a class, enter its CRN in the Add Classes Worksheet box. Press Submit to record your add request.

To look up classes: Click on the Look Up Classes option within the Registration Tools box. Select Spring 2020 from the Term menu. Select the Advanced Search option on the bottom right. Using the pull-down option, select the subject if you are seeking courses in a specific discipline. Also enter the course number if you are looking for sections of a specific course. You can also search by campus, course level, instructor, meeting day(s) and times, and course attribute.

Check out the new way to register online! 
In PirateNet, click on the Academics module. Under Registration Tools, click on Registration Tools – New Look. You'll see 5 options:

  • Prepare for Registration where you can check out your holds, confirm your registration status and current program.
  • Browse Classes where you can search for classes by subject, level, meeting day and time, etc.
  • Browse Course Catalog where you can get info about courses and course descriptions.
  • Register for Classes where you select the registration term and enter your Alternative (Registration) PIN. Then, enter the CRNs for the classes you want to take. Press Add to Summary. Additional info is viewable when you press Panels on the bottom left of the screen. 
  • View Registration Information where you can view course details.

To drop, with Panel display on, click on summary box on the right. Select Drop on Web from the Action dropdown menu and press Submit.

Some registrations require advance authorization. You cannot register on the web for an independent study course, for a closed course, or for a course which has a meeting time that conflicts with another course. Register online for those courses which are open and available. Contact the department chair (for Business, contact the Student Information Office; for Diplomacy, contact the Associate Dean) if you are seeking admission to a closed course or if you have a time conflict. Make sure that you have secured the necessary signatures on an add-drop form. Students seeking to register for a closed course or to resolve a time conflict may also request a permit from the department chair.

Permits for closed courses. To register for an independent study or closed course (where there is no wait list) or to resolve a similar registration problem, contact the department chairperson to seek approval for a permit. A permit will allow you to register online for a course that requires departmental approval. You cannot be signed into a closed course with an active wait list; the only way to secure a seat in a class with a wait list is to sign up for the wait list.

If you experience problems in registering online, call the Registrar's Office at 973-761-9374 or email

Wait lists
Some courses have wait lists; these classes will appear with a maximum number > 0 in the wait list column of the class listing. If you want to put your name on a wait list for a course that has an online wait list, simply follow the prompts and add your name. 

Important information regarding wait lists:

  • There is no guarantee that you will actually secure a seat in the class just because you have signed up for the wait list. Develop some alternative options in case a seat does not become available.
  • The wait list notification process is automatic and requires timely response/action. If a seat opens up in a closed course which has students on its wait list, the first student on the wait list receives an automated email from advising him that he can go online and register for the class. Students who receive these messages must follow through in registering for the class by the deadline that appears in the message (usually 72 hours). If the student does not register for the class within 72 hours, he no longer has the option to claim the seat. The next student on the wait list receives an email with the notification that he can register for the class.

Permits for closed courses. To register for an independent study or closed course (where there is no wait list) or to resolve a similar registration problem, contact the department chairperson to seek approval for a permit. A permit will allow you to register online for a course that requires departmental approval. You cannot be signed into a closed course with an active wait list; the only way to secure a seat in a class with a wait list is to sign up for the wait list.

Step Four: Update your personal data

Remember to review your personal data on the web and make any corrections which may be needed. Critical updates include address changes and next-of-kin (emergency contact) information.

Step Five: Pay tuition by due date

Please pay your bill by the payment due date, December 22, 2019. Check online within Banner Self-Service for your billing details; bills are no longer mailed, so you must review your account online. Contact the Bursar's Office in Bayley Hall with any payment questions. Payment by the due date is necessary to avoid the assessment of a late fee. Note: you can pay your bill by credit card online or by electronic check on-line. A courtesy fee of 2.85 percent is charged for credit card payments, with a minimum courtesy fee of $3.

Registration Reminder: You will not be able to register if you have an unresolved financial balance on your account. Please clear your account with timely payment well in advance to ensure registration eligibility. Contact Bursar's Office in Bayley Hall with any questions, or call 800-222-7183

Changing your Schedule: Add/Drop Procedures

Note: Add - Drop Period Ends on January 21

Using your PIN, you may adjust your schedule online within Banner Student Self-Service. Be sure to consult your adviser regarding course changes.

For In-Person schedule adjustments, obtain an add-drop form from your adviser or the Registrar’s Office in Bayley Hall. Complete and secure your adviser’s signature if adding a course or changing a course. Drops do not need an adviser’s signature, nor do changes of sections. Submit form to the Registrar’s Office for data entry before the end of the add/drop period. 

Special Cautions Regarding Add/Drop:

  • Due date for bills is not altered by changes to schedule. If credits are dropped, deduct appropriate tuition from bill. If credits are added, due date for original courses remains constant. Your bill can be viewed on-line to see updates. Reminder: undergraduates are billed the flat tuition for 12 – 18 undergraduate credits.

  • Dropping all courses constitutes a total withdrawal from the University. See procedure for total withdrawal from the University.

  • Dropping below full-time status (minimum of 12 credits) will affect the financial aid award for undergraduates. Check first with the Student Financial Services in Bayley Hall.

  • Non-attendance does not constitute a drop or withdrawal. The student is financially and academically responsible for the timely completion of correct schedule adjustment procedures.

Withdrawing Academically from a Course

After January 21, 2020, the last day of the add-drop period, you can withdraw academically from a course which you are unable or unwilling to complete. Course Adjustment Forms, available in departmental and deans’ offices and in the Office of the Registrar, are used to request a WD in a course. Students wishing to withdraw from all of their courses should discuss their options with their adviser and review the information regarding official withdrawal on the Registrar’s web page. Once a decision to withdraw has been made, students should follow procedures outlined on the Registrar’s web page. The section below ‘Refund Policy for Total Withdrawal from the University’ provides details regarding tuition credit based on the date of withdrawal. Students who withdraw from one or more courses but remain actively registered for any other course during the term are ineligible for any credit or refund.

Pass/Fail Option

Undergraduate students may take up to 12 credits in free electives on a Pass/Fail basis. The student is limited to 6 credits in any 12-month period. Students must file a Course Adjustment Form with their dean to apply for the Pass/Fail option (or to retract this option) within the first 5 weeks of class (or the first third of course meetings in summer session). Pass/Fail courses are restricted to free electives. A pass grade is used in determining class standing and eligibility but is not used in computing grade point average.

Audit Policy

Students who wish to audit may enroll in courses for which they are qualified, but they may be dropped by the professor if their presence impedes normal class progress. Auditors are expected to attend class regularly, but are not obligated to take tests or meet other course requirements. The designation of AU is noted on the transcript but it is not used in determining class standing, eligibility or grade point average. The following Audit options are available:

  • Option 1: Students who register for credit may request change from credit to audit status during the first five weeks of the fall/spring semesters and by the second class meeting in Summer session by completing a Course Adjustment Form available in Bayley Hall. Full tuition and fees are charged.
  • Option 2: Students who declare audit status at the time of registration (before billing) and complete an Audit Declaration form may be eligible for reduced tuition - see Bursar’s webpage for up-to-date tuition and fees. This form is available in the Office of the Registrar in Bayley Hall and must be completed each time audit status is requested. 

Audit Declaration is not allowed in any closed course, nor is any audit option permitted in any of the following course categories: computer and computer-based courses, art and design (ADIM), applied music (MUAP), photography, graphics (COGR), honors courses (HONS), studio courses, physical education courses, museum professions courses, writing courses, independent study and research courses, off-campus courses, online courses, laboratory courses and ESL classes. This policy also applies to senior citizen auditors. Audit declaration is restricted to registration periods which immediately precede the start of the term and the ensuing add-drop period. You may not file an audit declaration during the ear;y registration period. 

Audit courses may be dropped within the standard add-drop period. In this case, students will not be charged for the course; the University fee is not refundable and must be paid in full. There is no refund when students withdraw from an audited course; tuition and fees must be paid in full.

The completed Audit Declaration form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office at the time of registration with the signed grid sheet. This audit request is valid at the time of current registration; it is not retroactive and cannot be changed to credit status. Hould contact the Bursar’s Office.

The Audit Declaration tuition reduction cannot be combined with any other reduced tuition rate. The greater tuition reduction will apply.

Financial Information


Electronic bills (eBills) will be available on Banner Self-Service in early December. Paper invoices will not be mailed, so you must review your account online. Students will receive an email from the Bursar’s Office; it will direct them to view their account online and will provide billing and payment information. Spring 2020 payment is due on December 22, 2019.

Students who do not receive the email from the Bursar’s Office and/or who do not see any charges posted to their account in early December should contact the Bursar’s Office.

Students who register after the November registration period should view their bills on-line and submit payment immediately. The University reserves the right to require advance payment for any late registrations.


Payment must be received by December 22, 2019 for November registrants to avoid assessment of a late fee. These students must review their charges on-line and submit payment immediately. Late payments are subject to a $250 late fee. 

Credit card payments may also be made online through Banner Student Self Service. Please note that a courtesy fee of 2.85 percent of the amount charged will be assessed. Students may also pay online by electronic check (eCheck); no additional fee is charged for eCheck payments.

Note: The Student Financial Services helpline answers all questions regarding payment and charges. Please call 800-222-7183. You can also email

Financial Aid

All approved financial aid will be printed on the bill and deducted from the total due. If an award does not appear, contact Student Financial Services in Bayley Hall and/or the source of the award(s) to determine how to document your financial aid. No undocumented awards may be deducted from your bill.

  • Veteran's Benefits: Students eligible for VA educational benefits should consult Student Financial Services in Bayley Hall to be certified for payments or email
  • Stafford Loans: Contact Student Financial Services for details or email

Note: Financial aid and other payment difficulties do not excuse a student from payment of a late fee. Please resolve these problems prior to your payment due date.

Refund Policy for Total Withdrawal from the University

The University refund/credit policy for tuition is based on the official date of total withdrawal (i.e., student requests and receives WD grades in all courses in a given term) according to the following schedule:

Date of WD Request Percentage of Tuition Credit Percentage of Tuition Due
Within add-drop period 100% 0%
1st week after add-drop (Jan. 22 – 28) 80% 20%
2nd Week after add-drop (Jan 29 – Feb 4) 60% 40%
3rd week after add-drop (Feb 5 – 11) 40% 60%
4th week after add-drop (Feb. 12 – 18) 20% 80%
5th week or later (Feb. 19 on)  0% 100%
Repayment Policy for Federal Aid Recipients

Students receiving federal financial aid, who completely terminate enrollment or stop attending all classes during a term for which payment has been received before completing more than 60 percent of the enrollment period, are subject to specific federal regulations.

The amount of Title IV aid that a student must repay is determined via the Federal Formula for Return of Title IV funds as specified in Section 484B of the Higher Education Act. This law also specifies the order of return of the Title IV funds to the programs from which they were awarded.

A repayment may be required when cash has been disbursed to a student from financial aid funds in excess of the amount of aid the student earned during the term. The amount of Title IV aid is determined by multiplying the total Title IV aid (other than Federal Work Study) for which the student qualified by the percentage of time during the term that the student was enrolled; if a student does not officially withdraw, the percentage of 50 may be used. If less aid was disbursed than was earned, the student may receive a late disbursement for the difference. If more aid was disbursed than was earned, the amount of Title IV aid that must be returned (i.e., that was unearned) is determined by subtracting the earned amount from the amount actually disbursed.

The responsibility for returning unearned aid is allocated between the University and the student according to the portion of disbursed aid that could have been used to cover University charges and the portion that could have been disbursed directly to the student once University charges were covered. Seton Hall University will distribute the unearned aid back to the Title IV programs as specified by law. The student will be billed for the amount the student owes to the Title IV Programs and any amount due to the University resulting from the return of Title IV funds used to cover University charges.

Back to top