Seton Hall’s School of Diplomacy and International Relations has partnered with the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) in Geneva to offer this Online Executive Master of Science in International Affairs and Diplomatic Practice program. The degree is designed for mid-career professionals who seek to develop additional skills or credentials to move ahead in their careers. Practitioners will explore contemporary diplomacy against the changing nature of world politics and investigate the complexities of relationships between different countries. Through a series of seven courses and six modules, students will build upon their knowledge and skills in international security, policy analysis, negotiation and conflict management and monitoring and evaluation, while developing a functional and/or regional specialty.
This accelerated online M.S. degree, which allows for flexible pacing and can be completed full-time or part-time, has both synchronous and asynchronous lessons, thus immersing students in the content through engaging online material, lectures, case studies, interactive sessions, groupwork, and stakeholder discussions.
This coursework is a tool for:
- Diplomats assigned to Permanent Missions to the United Nations
- UN and international organizations staff
- Representatives from nongovernmental organizations accredited to the United Nations
- Private sector employers/employees with international holdings/interests
- Peace Corps members and Returned Peace Corps Volunteers
- Military service members
Note: application for this program is rolling admission.
By the Numbers
The Online Executive M.S. curriculum can be completed in just over a year full-time, including summer sessions, or through part-time study, and is customizable to meet each individual’s current interests and needs. The program begins with a four course core sequence. Through a series of six modules and three additional specialization classes, students can pursue functional as well as regional specializations, or explore a variety of topics relevant to their career goals.
The core courses taken with the School of Diplomacy are as follows:
- DIPL 6005 Public International Law (3 credits)
- DIPL 6104 Art and Science of International Negotiation (3 credits)
- DIPL 6105 International Political Economy OR DIPL 6155 Advanced Economic Aspects of International Relations (3 credits)
- DIPL 6180 Comparative Foreign Policy (3 credits) OR DIPL 6001 Politics of Cultural and Ethnic Pluralism (3 credits)
UNITAR’s six modules (totalling 9 credits) include:
- Project Management
- Public-Private Partnerships and Business Diplomacy
- Mediation and Negotiation Training
- Leadership in International Organizations
- Public and Cultural Diplomacy
- Diplomatic Communication
Specialization Courses (9 credits): 3 courses in specialization selected from options available online
- Global Health and Human Security
- Global Negotiation and Conflict Management
- International Economics and Development
- International Law and Human Rights
- Post-Conflict State Reconstruction and Sustainability
Not sure if an online program is right for you? Learn more about our traditional Executive M.S. program, which can be completed entirely on campus, or in a hybrid format with a combination of campus and online classes.
This program is developed and taught by leading international experts who work closely with the United Nations, international companies, and NGOs globally as well as renowned scholars who will guide and support participants throughout their study. This dedicated team of scholars and practitioners with diverse backgrounds, bridge the gap between theory and practice — in the classroom and beyond. They include:
Request More Information
Just minutes from New York City and a few hours from Washington, D.C., the School of Diplomacy and International Relations is an ideal place to study international relations and practice diplomacy firsthand. Through a unique alliance with the United Nations Association of the United States of America and the United Nations Foundation, students are exposed to today's leaders and policymakers. Students from around the world come together to participate in a multidisciplinary curriculum that emphasizes multilateral diplomacy, conflict resolution, international economics and leadership.
Loading Online Executive Master of Science (M.S.) International Affairs and Diplomatic Practice...